The Nature Of Jade by Deb Caletti

Sunday, October 19, 2008


The one thing my illness made me realize is how necessary it is to ignore the dangers of living in order to live. And how much trouble you can get into if you can't.”



Summary: (From debcaletti.com) Jade DeLuna is too young to die. She knows this, and yet she can't quite believe it, especially when terrifying thoughts, loss of breath, and dizzy feelings come. Since being diagnosed with Panic Disorder she's trying her best to stay calm, and visiting the elephants at the nearby zoo seems to help. That's why Jade keeps the live zoo webcam on in her room, and where she first sees the boy in the red jacket. A boy who stops to watch the elephants. A boy carrying a baby.
His name is Sebastian, and he is raising his son alone. Jade is drawn into Sebastian's cozy life with his son and his activist grandmother on their Seattle houseboat, and before she knows it, she's in love. With this boy who has lived through harder times than anyone she knows. This boy with a past.
Jade knows the situation is beyond complicated, but she hasn't felt this safe in a long time. She owes it all to Sebastian, her boy with the great heart. Her boy who is hiding a terrible secret.
A secret that will force Jade to decide between what is right, and what feels right...


Review: I've heard nothing but good things about Caletti's books. I now I see why.
Caletti writes a wonderful novel. Filled with wonderful characters and fantastic plot twists that keeps this book interesting.
I will admit that it took me a while to get into this book, so long in fact it's overdue at my library, but when I did get sucked into this fantastic tale I couldn't put it down.
Jade was a wonderful MC and I could see a little bit of myself in her, everything she did I would have done. I loved how she acted and I loved watching her grow, her love was genuine her reactions perfect. I also loved Sebastian, he was a great character to have and gorgeous love interest. Him, Bo and Tess made me laugh.
The twists, were a little predictable, but I think that it's a wonderful feeling to figure out what's going to happen before the MC.
The information about elephants was fun, I liked that aspect of that book very much, giving it the originality that I really enjoyed.
Everything that happened in the novel was believable. Caletti wrote so that you were feeling what Jade was feeling, so that you loved all the characters.
Down side? I think that we could have had more time with Sebastian, but that's just the fan girl in me talking.
I'm picky about endings and I thought that this was a pretty good one.

I'm giving this novel four out of five. It was awesome. It took a little time to get into, but when you're in, there's no going back. I highly recommend you find a copy of this novel, especially if you're a Sarah Dessen fan.

--- Allie.

1 Listener(s):

Alea said...

This definitely sounds like an interesting book!

Post a Comment