I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008


"I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well that's me - Cammie the Chameleon. But I'm luckier then most because, at my school, that's considered cool."

Rating: 2/5

Summary:Gallagher Academy is not for normal girls, it's for the exceptional, the students are trained to kick box in PE, disarm bombs in science and could kill someone with an uncooked piece of spaghetti.

The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women may seem like your normal school for stuck up rich girls, but it's a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is the headmistresses daughter, fluent in fourteen different languages and is nicknamed the chameleon because she's only seen when she wants to be.

But that all changes the day that Josh, a normal boy, sees her.


Review: I've been told so many great things about this novel. I've been trying to get my hands on it for ages and the day that I found this book in my local bookstore I thought that I'd struck gold, but sadly, this book disappointed me.

My first problem with this novel is how smart the girls are. They're geniuses, they're spies, but what escapes me is why they don't act like them, throughout the novel I was told how smart each girl was (over and over again) but I felt that I was never shown that they were smart.

My second problem is a fan girl one, the love

interest is one of the things about the book and really makes or breaks a novel for me, Josh...was sweet, a little weird and kind of funny, but...he wasn't... interesting enough. He was predictable, dull even. What I couldn't stand was that while they had their first kiss Cammie was babbling about how she wasn't going to describe what it was like because her mum was going to read this diary of hers.

Problem three:Cammie was a bit of a Mary Sue, all the characters forgave her actions after moments, she's with Josh and that is illegal in spy world and she doesn't get punished for her actions, and her mother is all: yes, yes, I knew, now, sleep well honey. Made me a little angry. She hurts Josh and he's beginning to forgive her. I didn't like that.

Problem four: the enormous title! At first it was cute and sweet, but after a while it got really annoying.

Problem five: the corniness. I can't stand corniness and I got a lot of it in this novel.

Problem six: I know that they're spies and that they save the world all the time, but they make Josh and people out of the school seem so useless and terrible and pathetic.

Problem seven: Repetitive.

I think that this novel had so much potential and it was wasted.


I think that I'll give this novel two stars. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up so high, but this novel really disappointed me and I will not ever re-read it and I wouldn't recommend it.


I've noticed that a lot of the bloggers love this novel, and I totally respect that, I was wondering if you could comment and tell me why you enjoyed this book? I'm really interested in finding out why you loved it. :D


I thought that I'd share this cover with you seeing as it's different to the regular cover.


---Allie.

3 Listener(s):

Amanda said...

I've also heard good things about this book, but I shied away from it. Pretty much for the reasons you listed. And after reading the title hundreds of times it sounds annoying.

Nice review though!
That Teen

Ms. Yingling said...

I think it was the idea of being a brilliant girl spy in a private school. Teens love to be independent, and why project yourself into an ordinary setting (like Beverly Cleary)when you could pretend to be one of the Gallagher girls and save people from stuff. I try to think like a 6th grader when I read, and that was why I liked this one. You do have a point, though, and I'm glad to know why there are some of my students who DON'T like this one!

Kelsey said...

You make a point, but when I read this series, it was before I heard so much good stuff on it, and I actually read the second one first, and I thought it was just a fun, enjoyable read, and yes it's unrealistic, but I just thought it was really enjoyable, so I ended up really liking it. It isn't the most authentic novel, no, but it was amusing and entertaining.

Post a Comment