The Rule of Won by Stefan Petrucha.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

“Right,” I was thinking. “If the universe is really just a huge Wal-Mart and you’ve got unlimited credit, why doesn’t everyone already have whatever they want?”


Rating: 3/5.


Summary: The secret of The Rule of Won is simple, yet its power has been suppressed for generations. The universe is one of infinite abundance—ask, and you shall receive.
Umm, yeah right. Meet Caleb Dunne, slacker extraordinaire. Caleb prefers to glide through life with the minimal amount of effort, so he isn’t too jazzed when his overachieving girlfriend, Vicky, convinces him to join a new school club based on a controversial book, The Rule of Won. Slackers don’t join school clubs, do they? As The Rule gains popularity, though, the club members start to gain power within the school. From dark posts on the club’s online message board to all-out threats in the hallways, it becomes apparent that the group is getting out of control. For slacker Caleb, though, the only thing worse than doing something is not doing something.



Review: What I liked best about The Rule of Won is a little dorky. I really liked all the new things I learnt while reading the novel. The Rule, in which the novel is based upon I found interesting – though I certainly do not believe in it. Petrucha gave me a very thorough explanation of it and gave me room to develop my own opinion instead of being overwhelmed by the MC Caleb’s thoughts and ideas. The reactions, the following and how everything spiralled out of control was very well crafted. I enjoyed watching the rise and fall of The Rule.

Petrucha’s writing style is fantastic and suited Caleb wonderfully. When we first hear from Caleb in chapter one, I was very taken by the natural way his personality had been put to paper.

I liked how the prologue and epilogue were from Alyssa’s perspective. It gave enough intrigue (and started the novel nice and strongly) in the beginning and enough closure at the end. I do wish that we had heard more from her.

Now, a few little negatives. I thought that it was a good novel. The second half could have been done a little better. The end was a little cheesy, the epilogue saved the end of the novel. Sometimes I felt like the characters were too insane, I suppose that is what obsession of that kind does to you.

I’m giving this novel three out of five. I enjoyed it, but the second half could have been a little better. I would recommend this novel to anyone who wants to learn about something new and a little different.

--Allie.

5 Listener(s):

Ashley said...

I enjoyed this one.
Oh, and I was crying so hard at the end of "Before I Die"! It was so sad! She didn't even get to say "I love you" to anyone! :(

Just Listen said...

I know and she was so sick! And some of her break downs were awfully sad, but they made the book so much more interesting. :)

Amanda said...

I tagged you here!

http://thatteencanblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/bookshelf-meme.html

Brand Aide, Brand Made said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jonathan505 said...

I agree that this book was very interesting but a bit dull towards the end. I did learn some things though... I just finished "Rowan of the Wood", have you heard of it. I can't stop telling people about it! Take a look (www.rowanofthewood.com) I saw the authors giving a book signing at Barnes and Noble and talked to them for like 20 minutes! Its a fantasy novel of magic, mythology and undying love! enjoy!

Post a Comment